Funerals and Churchyard
We are here to walk with you throughout life, including at the sad and often difficult times of loss. We are pleased to offer you support, gently and sensitively. Please don't hesitate to contact us, as we are here to help.
If you live in the parish or have a connection with our church and would like one of our ministers to conduct a funeral for a loved one, please contact our church office.
There is a variety of possible services you may like us to help with, including:
- Funeral in the church with burial in the churchyard
- Funeral or Thanksgiving service in the church with committal (a short service) at a crematorium
- Funeral at the crematorium with internment of ashes in our Garden of Remembrance
- Interment of ashes in the Garden of Remembrance (following a cremation elsewhere)
Sometimes we are asked about internment of ashes for people who have not lived in the parish. We are very happy to consider this and simply ask that there is a meaningful link between you and/or the deceased, and our church and parish. This meaningful link may be:
- You live in the parish or are a member of St Michael's
- The deceased lived in the parish or was a member of St Michael's (even if you don't)
- You or the deceased have been baptised or married in the church
- The body of a family member is already buried or their ashes have been interred in the graveyard or Garden of Remembrance
If in doubt, and you think you may have a meaningful link, please contact us. We know these times are hard and want to do everything to help bring some comfort in your loss.
The Church Office will also let you know what fees are payable (or click here to see the current fees applicable). These are set by the Church of England so we have little discretion. If cost is an issue, please know we want to support you at this difficult time, so feel free to share any concerns with us.